Skip to content

Passport Process from January 1st 2012

From January 1, 2012, The Embassy in Washington, DC can no longer accept passport applications. Only the General Consulate in New York, the General Consulate in Chicago and the Consulate General in Palo Alto can accept passport applications.

From January 1, 2012, new Danish passports must contain digital photos, fingerprints and signatures. In this way the security against forgery and misuse of passports is strengthened considerably. Passports issued until January 1, 2012 already hold a digital photo of the holder.

Your present passport is still valid until the date of expiry.

The decision to introduce fingerprints in passports has been made at central level in the EU as part of the combat against terrorism, human trade, human trafficking, illegal immigration and other transnational crime. With the new biometric passport, Danish citizens are secured the possibility to travel to countries that will require this type of passport for entry in the future.

With the new passport you are much better protected against someone stealing your identity and pretending to be you, and also against forgery of your passport.

In order to issue the new passport, the installation at of special equipment for taking photos and recording fingerprints and signatures is necessary. The applications must be handed to and handled by specially authorized staff, who will have access to certain data in the central citizens registry, the CPR.

As a consequence, The Danish honorary consulates in the United States will not be able to accept passport applications after January 1, 2012.

From January 1 2012 you must appear in person at either the Consulate General in New York, Consulate General in Chicago or the Consulate General in Palo Alto to apply for a new passport:

The Danish Consulate General in New York

The Danish Consulate General in Chicago

The Danish Consulate General in Palo Alto

From January 1 until March 25, 2012 the Honorary Consulates will still be able to extend passports, issue emergency passports, issue passports for children under 12 years of age and assist in other consular matters.

What are my options up until January 1, 2012?
Until December 31, 2011, you may renew your passport as described on the embassy’s website: Application for Passport. The new passports will be valid for 2, 5 or 10 years – as they are currently.

What can be handled by the consulates from January 1, 2012?
After January 1, 2012 the embassy and the honorary consulates can still extend the validity of passports, issue emergency passports and issue passports for children under 12 years of age.

A condition for extension of an expired passport is that it expired no longer than three months ago. A passport can only be extended once and for a maximum of 12 months. We recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognizes extended passports. Please note that it is not possible to travel without a visa to the USA on an extended passport.

An emergency passport is issued with validity limited to the period required for the duration of the journey and rules of the countries to be travelled through, and for a maximum of 12 months. An emergency passport must be rendered to the Police or to a Danish mission abroad after use. Travelling with an emergency passport may cause problems with other countries’ border controls. Therefore we recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognize emergency passports. Please note that you cannot return to the United States on an emergency passport.

Can I get a new passport during my holiday in Denmark?
Yes. It is already possible – and cheaper – to get a passport with a municipality (kommune) in Denmark. All Danish citizens can apply for a passport at the Civil Service Center (Borgerservicecenter) in any municipality. It is not necessary for you to reside in or in other way be attached to the municipality. You can find addresses of Civil Service Centres at You may wish to call beforehand for information on opening hours, booking of appointment etc. and inform them that you reside abroad.

Can my child be included in my passport?
No. Since October 1, 2004 children, also newly borns and children without names, must have their own passport. A consulate may issue a temporary (emergency) passport if necessary. See above on emergency passports.

Must children also give their fingerprints?
No. Fingerprints are not collected from children below 12 years of age, but they still have to appear in person in order to apply for a passport.

How do I collect my new passport?
You may have your passport sent to you by FedEx. But first you must send in your old passport for cancellation.